Wednesday, February 24, 2010

It's not just a thing to do


I have been seeing lots of Facebook/blog posts about Lent, what people are giving up. Some surprise me - in the who or the what. Some seem a little trite - overused, too common, not unique or given much thought, the stock answer. Not being "denominational" or rigid in tradition, I tend to not put much focus on this element of Christianity. My faith is not cookie cutter. I'm not cookie cutter. Neither is my God, and I feel this is an act that should have purpose, spiritually. His sacrifice and suffering is not trite.

But I know there are things in my life that need to be purged, cleansed, sacrificed. I need to eliminate the noise to be able to hear the whisperings of the Father to me in the garden. I also need to find, to go to, the garden. And I don't. So I'm out of balance.

I have been thinking, listening a little, about what He would have me do in this time. Or, any time. But no time like the present. To find balance, to find Him.

I am thirsty, but rather than go to the well, I sit here dying of thirst.

I read a blog that makes me weep. Makes my heart hurt. Every. time. I. read. it. (But it's like a drug with good music, so I keep going back.)

Today she said this:
Lent. It’s the preparing the heart for Easter. Like going with Jesus into the wilderness for forty days, that we might come face to ugly face with our enemy.
I meet my enemies daily, hourly. I struggle to maintain control. And I have let my enemy win, take control. blah! So I am considering.

But I am addicted to my noise.

You should really read this whole post though. It's a little hard core, and, well, just read it.




holy experience


2 comments:

  1. I have struggled with what to "give up" this year for Lent. In the end, I let God "take away" whatever he wanted instead of me consciously deciding what to "give up".

    I love your words here. And I also love how Ann cuts to our hearts on her blog. God is faithful to draw us to him through so many venues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I am thirsty, but rather than go to the well, I sit here dying of thirst." I can relate.

    ReplyDelete